Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pow-Wow

I thoroughly enjoyed making the Native American artwork and adornment. I even made my grandson a shirt, leggings, breechcloth, moccasins, ankle bells, breastplate and headband with two feathers. I did beading on the headband and down the sides of the leggings but never decided what to put on the breechcloth so I never got it done. He was around 3 or 4 when I did this, and I took him to a Pow-Wow in Wichita. At the time I was helping out with the Cherokee language class at the Indian Center in Wichita and they had a booth at the Pow-Wow. Going there he didn't want to put it on, but when we got there he saw all the Native Americans in their Regalia and he decided he wanted his on too. Now for the part of the story where I got in trouble. While we were there the little guy needed to pee and the only toilets they had were the portables and they had already seen two days use and were rather nasty. I really didn't want to take a little guy that didn't know how to keep his hands off things in one of them so I told him that since he was being an "Indian" he needed to learn to "water the bushes", which is real easy to do with a breechcloth. Big mistake! Every few minutes after that he wanted to "water the bushes" everywhere. THEN! The next day I get a call from his mom (my daughter).... something about her turning around and there he is whizzing away in the front yard. I heard about that for a long time afterward. I still have everything except the moccasins, he wore them out.

No comments: